Sunday, July 13, 2014

Roy's in Kaanapali

Once you forgive the fact that Roy’s offers you nothing more than a view of a golf course and is, ironically, the least Hawaiian themed Roy’s I’ve personally been to, this place has some great eats.
The fish trio.

The short ribs.
Okay, I just said Roy’s has some great eats, but the complimentary edamames aren’t among them. Served cold with just a touch of salt and spices, they remain flavorless. So, if you’re really hungry, order an appetizer. (I never do since I like to save room for dessert.) If you do opt for an appetizer and you like to go spicy, try the Canoe Appetizer for Two, featuring Peanut Thai Chicken Satay, a Spicy Tuna Roll, and Szechuan Ribs. The rest of your meal will be just as spectacular from here. Most nights, I opted for Roy’s classic trio of Jade Pesto Manchong, Blackened Ahi, and Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi. Both the Pesto Manchong and Blackened Ahi are nothing short of stellar. I don’t pretend to be a food critic but if neither of these two preparations do anything for you, I would say that your tastebuds are unrefined, to be polite. The first time I had Roy’s Ahi was the best piece of fish I’ve EVER had; slightly warm but completely fresh, and melted on my tongue. This piece of fish reminded me of a scene in the movie “Once Upon a Time in Mexico,” where Johnny Depp’s character wants expresses a desire to shoot the chef because his food is so good, no one else should ever taste it. And although I was less impressed by the Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi, seeing how macadamia nut preparations are common in Hawaii, it was still well-prepared. On the downside, the portion size for this dish is much smaller than had you ordered each piece as its own entrée. This is not a complaint, merely an observation. Another observation: A limited beer selection; opt for wine or a cocktail instead.
Meanwhile, my wife typically chooses the Honey Mustard Beef Short Ribs which thankfully are barely glazed with the honey mustard sauce, yet prepared so perfectly that the meat melts in your mouth, as any well-prepared meat should. I have to say that for us, who may be considered smaller people, the beef ribs were a sizable portion. Sometimes we save a little to take home.
mmmmmm...
 
 
For dessert we always have the Chocolate Soufflé which really is the only choice if you care deeply about chocolate. The soufflé is like a brownie on steroids with a warm syrupy center and a side of vanilla bean ice cream and raspberry puree. Simply incredible and not something I can pass up even when I am already full. If you want this dessert, you have to order it ahead of time as it takes at least 20 minutes to prepare. When you taste it, you will see why. You can't rush a good thing.
View of the dining room.
As mentioned in the beginning, Roy’s doesn’t have much of a Hawaiian theme going on in terms of its ambiance. Instead, the dining room feels somewhat like an old Victorian gentleman’s club where they smoke cigars and talk about politics. This is to say the dining room is perfectly clean with dark wood veneers from one end to the other, but ambiance is not why I go to Roy’s. I do not go for the service either but at least the service is top-notch. Roy’s wait staff is always great; attentive, professional and courteous, though I do find their insistence to fold your napkin every time you get up for a restroom break a bit over the top. I suppose people who are used to personal service will enjoy this touch or figure it is par-for-the-course, but I don’t enjoy it. It’s a particularly unsettling act when you’re sitting at the table by yourself when your dining partner gets up. Still, Roy’s get four out of five stars because what they do food wise, they do very well. As a result, Roy’s can be a little pricier than many other Maui restaurants. Dress attire is still casual, though. After all, you're on vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment