Monday, September 16, 2013

Upcountry Farmer's Market, Pukalani/Kula


As someone who has been to lots of farmer’s markets, I know that which I speak of. While I admire the motto of the Upcountry Farmer’s Market (“Occupy Farms”) I can’t help but say that this market, held Saturdays 7am-12pm, is probably the weakest farmer’s market I’ve ever been to. Granted, I did not get there until about 9:30am, so it’s hard to say if all the best items were wiped out early or if the farmers just don’t have much to sell. Frankly, most vendors appear to have plucked whatever looked ready in their backyard that morning and brought it to the market. Then there is the matter of just how uninterested the vendors are to sell you what they do have, mostly ignoring you and opting to chat with their friends or the next vendor over. And it’s not like there are very many vendors; most are selling you already processed items or widgets instead of fruits and veggies. The only bright spot here was the vendor selling Indian food, which although early for lunch, was as close to good Indian food as you’re going to find on Maui. Unfortunately, the fruit and veggie vendor who set up in Kihei four days a week has been AWOL for months now, forcing me to try this market. Decent Indian food aside, I tried this market but I will not be back.

The Upcountry Farmer’s Market is located on Hwy 37 at the Kulamalu Town Center near Long's Drugs, Pukalani/Kula.

No comments:

Post a Comment